Friday, April 9, 2010

New Beginnings 2010

Yeah, I know.  New Beginnings is supposed to happen at the beginning of the year.  But our stake had a giant reorganization so after things settled down a little, we had ours on April 6th.

The mutual theme for this year is  "Be Strong and of Good Courage" (Joshua 1:9) and I found an amazing program idea here.  She has it all planned out, lined up and ready to go.  I have to give her mad props because she helped us out so so much!  THANK YOU, MELANIE,  FOR SHARING YOUR AMAZING IDEAS!!!!

The theme was sort of Olympic centered.  We had the Olympic theme song playing and all the girls came in wearing each value color.  Our ward has very few Young Women, so we used each and every one who came and even a visitor! DSC_4430

I made a torch using a flashlight and can light gels, although I’m sure you could use anything.  On the blog, she suggests using tissue paper.  Then I took a piece of brownish 12x12 paper and rolled it to make a casing.  I dropped the flashlight into it and there we had a torch!  I didn’t get a really good picture of it, but here I am holding it…DSC_4451 I think it turned out well.  I also think I am a giant dork.

For the metals, I wanted them to look nice but my resources here were very limited.  So I did what I could and it was a lot of work, but I am very happy with how they came out!

I went to the hardware store and bought some big washers.  Then I measured them and added a little extra around the edges so I could wrap the paper over the washer.  So I cut all the paper.DSC_4154

Then I wrinkled all the circles up so the paper was a little more manageable and pliable.

DSC_4155DSC_4156

Then I centered the washer on the paper circleDSC_4157

And hot glued the paper down all the way around the washer.DSC_4158DSC_4159DSC_4161DSC_4162

Then I printed “Be strong and of a good courage” onto the same paper and cut out those circles.  I Mod Podged those babies on there and it gave them a little sheen.

DSC_4163 DSC_4165

Then I took my dollar store metals, took the ribbon off (they came with red, white, and blue ribbon) and glued them onto the back of the washers.  It gave them a little more weight and also a place for me to thread all the ribbons through.

DSC_4166  Then I took a ribbon from each value and threaded it through the hole, along with the original ribbon that came with the metals.  It worked out well that I didn’t have to buy red, white or blue ribbon because it was already on there!

DSC_4167 DSC_4170DSC_4168 DSC_4169

They were a lot of work and I’m sure there is an easier way!  But I think they worked and looked quite nice.

I also made fruit pizza and it was so so so yummy!  I didn’t get a picture before it was devoured, but take my word for it!  It was beautiful!

Fruit Pizza Recipe

Crust: (I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe, found here.)

Blend together until smooth:
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup melted Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 eggs
1 Cup Sour Cream
Combined in separate bowl:
5 Cups Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.  Make a ball out of the dough and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge 2-3 hours or until firm. I made mine the night before.  Roll it out to fit pan size, not too thick.  I was able to make 2 pizzas, one on a cookie sheet and one on a pizza pan.  Bake @ 375 for 15-20 min.  You want them just slightly golden brown to make sure the middle is done.  Let cool.

topping:

1 package cream cheese

1 12 oz package Cool Whip

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Blend until smooth.  Spread over pizzas when cool.  Then arrange fruit on top.  I used strawberries, mandarin oranges, bananas, pineapple, blueberries and apples.  Mmmm.

All in all, it was a successful evening!  Thanks again to Melanie over at her blog!  You are a lifesaver!

No comments: